Pages

Sunday, November 17, 2013

"Radically Reoriented"

Sermon Text – Isaiah 65: 17-25

“For I am about to create a new heavens and a new earth; the former things shall not be remembered or come to mind…”

Today the prophet Isaiah speaks to us of transformation. Transformation is at the core of what it means to be a Christian. We worship a God who reaches out – time and time again – to transform individual lives, communities, and the world. We follow a teacher who – time and time again – spoke of turning the world upside-down….

Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God. Blessed are you who are hungry now, for you will be filled.
Blessed are you who weep now, for you will laugh.”

And we are heirs. Descendents of people have professed – time and time again – that there can be no death without the transformative power of resurrection, that working together with God we can always “make a way out of no way,”[1] and that what it means to be Christian is to risk having your life so fully transformed that you no longer recognize it as your own.

It’s powerful stuff – this transformation talk.

For a month now, we have been talking about Mission: POSSIBLE during worship. I so appreciate that our Stewardship Committee has focused on the possibilities that we are invited into when we truly consider how we can each be involved in the life and mission of this congregation. I want to say a big thank you to all of the people from our Boards and Committees who have helped educate us about the work we do together and the resources that are necessary to make those ministries a reality.

A few minutes ago, we took a little time to think individually about the ways our own lives and the lives of those around us have been transformed by First United Church. It is my firm belief that it is the business of the Church to be about transforming lives – the lives of the people who fill the pews on Sunday morning, the lives of those in the immediate community that surrounds the church building, and the lives of people all over the world.

And this morning I want to talk about a spiritual practice that I have found to be immensely powerful. I have witnessed, first-hand, the life-transforming power of this spiritual discipline. I believe this practice has the power to radically reorient every aspect of our lives. In my own life, it has led to a greater sense of security, lower levels of stress and anxiety, and a much deeper sense of connection to God.

It is a powerful force for good in our world. It is an instrument of healing and transformation. It is a secret that is too good to be kept.

What is it? It’s tithing.

Oh, yes. I just said the “T” world. Tithing. Let’s talk a little about what that word means and get on the same page.

I know some of us grew up in churches where tithing was emphasized. Others of us may be hearing the word for the first time today. It’s not one we use a lot here at First United. We tend to talk about financial support, giving, stewardship of our resources, and generosity. Those are all good things. I am glad that we talk about them regularly.

Tithing is a form of giving and carries with it some additional connotations – or baggage – depending on how you feel about the word.

Tithing is truly an ancient concept in our faith. Way back in Genesis, we read about Abram tithing out of a sense of gratitude after a victory in battle. In its most legalistic sense tithing in the Bible was about giving away 10% of something. Since our Biblical ancestors lived in agricultural societies, they were often giving up 10% of a crop. It is important to note that it was 10% off the top – not the leftover 10% that wasn’t much good but 10% of the good stuff, right at the beginning.

Of course, over time tithing came to mean many different things. As economic systems changed, it was usually 10% of cash income instead of a crop. In some settings, it was compulsory – and I am not a fan of compulsory giving because I think the transformative power in giving is that we can make a choice to participate or not. In some instances it came to mean amounts other than 10% - sometimes less, sometimes more.

For the sake of being on the same page this morning, I want to define tithing as I mean it when I use the word. For me, tithing is a spiritual practice of giving away a substantial portion of what we have been given in ways that transform the world.

And the amazing thing about tithing is this: when we tithe we not only help the wider world by giving of our resources, but we literally transform our own lives through a radical reordering of our own priorities and attitudes about money. For me, it has been that second part that has been the most surprising and life-altering.

In 1999, Walter Brueggemann wrote an article in the Christian Century entitled “The Liturgy of Abundance, The Myth of Scarcity.” The words are as true now as they were in 1999. Brueggemann writes of two conflicting narratives in our world: 1) the liturgy of abundance set unleashed by God in the creation narratives…the declaration that “we originated in the magnificent inexplicable love of a God who loved the world into generous being.” And 2) the myth of scarcity…the fear that there isn’t enough to go around. Brueggemann confesses that he reads the Bible on a good day, but he watches Nike ads every single day. We live in a world that tries its best to get us to buy into this myth of scarcity and if we are to resist the gods of consumerism that wish to consume us, we have to anchor ourselves in spiritual disciplines that will radically reorient us to the truth of God’s liturgy of abundance.

I want to share a little about what this journey has been like for me. And I’m sharing it from my own perspective because that’s the story I know best. Please notice that this is meant to be descriptive, not PREscriptive. I recognize that we are all in different situations and not everyone’s story is going to look like mine.

I began tithing when I got married at the ripe old age of 20. I married into a tithing family. David’s parents had taught him the value of tithing and, to him, it was a no-brainer. I had to be convinced. When we got married we were both students – first undergraduate and then graduate. We had a combined income of something like $1000 a month. I’m not going to lie (especially from the pulpit) – I really could not initially wrap my head around the idea of giving away a full tenth of that small amount of money. It truly seemed impossible. I thought to myself, “Maybe we could just put this off until we are more financially stable. Someday in the future.”

But somehow David or the Bible or the Holy Spirit or all of the above convinced me and we gave it a try. Again – not going to lie – it wasn’t easy. Giving away 10% of our tiny income was really hard to do. But you know what else? And this really surprised me - it was kind of fun. We have always had a practice of giving a big chunk of our tithe to the church we attend but we also keep a bit of it aside to give to other nonprofit organizations or directly to people in need. Even though we were struggling students, we often felt rich because we would sit down every month and talk about how to give away some money directly to those who really needed it. We were living off of $1000 a month, but giving away our money made us feel rich. I don’t fully know how to explain it, but there it is. Each time we gave away our hard-earned money we worried less about scarcity and became more aware of the abundance available in our world.

The other thing that happened was this: starting out when we were struggling students made it so much easier now that we are giving away a much bigger dollar amount each month. If we had waited until we were making more money, I think it would have been so very hard to jump right in to giving away $400 or $500 a month. I am glad we started small, even though it was difficult at the time. It has made it much easier as the years have gone by.

Tithing is a spiritual practice of giving away a substantial portion of what we have been given in ways that transform the world around us.

In my own life, 10% has felt like a substantial portion of what I have been given. I don’t think it’s a magic number. I don’t think it works for everyone. And I think if you’ve never given away 1% or 2% starting at 10% can feel completely overwhelming. I do think there is some wisdom to 10%, though, and I don’t think it’s totally arbitrary. I think 10% is about enough that you really notice it’s gone. 10% is about enough to make you really question, “Is this sane? Giving away this much money? Will I really be able to do this?” And I think those two things – noticing it’s gone and wondering if I could really really do it – are absolutely essential parts of what make tithing one of the most powerful spiritual practices I have encountered.

Tithing has a way of radically reorienting the way we relate to money. We wonder – can I survive without this? And we discover that we actually can. That, in turn, makes us wonder what else we can live without and we discover that we live in a world that consistently tells us we “need” so very much more than we actually need. Tithing, for me, has been a way of exposing the lie that we can never have enough. It grounds me. It helps me feel safe. It keeps me focused on what my true needs are. It has completely transformed me as a human being. And it continues to transform me, month after month.

It is my job, as one of your pastors, to invite you to consider taking up spiritual practices that have the power to transform you life. I know it’s risky. I know it’s hard. And I hope you can see that I’m not up here asking you to do it in a “we need to make the budget” kind of way. I’m doing it because it is truly about so much more than making the budget. It’s about radically reorienting your relationship with money. It’s about transforming your relationship with the Holy.

And it is about resisting the forces in this world who clamor for our attention, day after day, begging us to buy into the myth of scarcity – the lie that there isn’t enough and that we must all snatch up what we can. It is about listening to the litany of the world around us, “You aren’t good enough. You need more stuff. You need more money in the bank to be safe,” and saying back the opening words of God’s great litany of abundance, “And God saw what God had created and it was good. It was very good.” It was enough. It is enough. We are enough.

I know that some of you already tithe. If you do, I hope you can reflect on the ways it is transforming your life. And I hope you can share what you discover with the rest of us.

I know that some of you are trying to get there. I encourage you to keep working at it – to ask yourself: am I experiencing my giving as a spiritual practice? Am I giving in ways that are truly challenging? And I invite you to be in conversation with each other and with Jack and me as you explore those questions.

And I know that some of you have really never considered that you might be able to do this. I recognize that this is a lot to take in this morning. Take it in. Sit with it. And then be in conversation with those who nourish your spirit as you continue to ponder what it might mean to live more fully into God’s promises of abundance.

It’s not a one-size-fits-all thing. That’s why I don’t think 10% is a magic number. But I do believe sincerely that there is something powerful about making a commitment to give away a substantial portion of what we have been given in ways that transform the world around us. Tithing as a spiritual practice has the power to radically reorient us and to shape us in ways that will fully transform the world.




[1] The words of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

No comments: