Pages

Monday, November 24, 2014

"New Year in November"

“New Year in November”
Sunday, November 23, 2014
First Congregational United Church of Christ – Sermon by Rev. Caela Simmons Wood

When was the last time you were surprised? Truly, deeply surprised? When was the last time your world was turned upside down, or you were caught off guard and felt your heart quicken? This may have been a really nice surprise: a friend got you an unexpected gift, your boss offered you rare words of encouragement, your child brought you a fistful of daisies. Or it may have been that other kind of surprise….you know, the really terrible kind: a car accident, a phone call in the middle of the night, a job loss, bad behavior from a dear friend or family member.

Earlier this week I was pondering what it feels like to be surprised and I suddenly remembered a few videos I had seen online of young children receiving cochlear implants and being able to hear for the first time. Maybe some of you have seen these videos, too. Babies and toddlers and young children hearing their parents’ voices for the first time. The looks on their faces? Sheer surprise in its purest form. They had absolutely no idea what was about to happen and their faces are often a mixture of disbelief, shock, joy, and amazement. One of my favorites was of a little girl, maybe 4 or 5 years old, who just laughed and laughed because she could hear her own voice for the first time ever. Her dad says, off-camera, “You couldn’t hear yourself before?” “No!” she gleefully exclaims with delight and just giggles with joy.

Surprise is a powerful force. It can be exhilarating or terrifying….usually it’s a mix of both, I suppose. Physiologically, a surprise seems to register the same way for me whether it’s good or bad. Whether it’s a surprise birthday party or a near-miss in my vehicle, a surprise means I catch my breath, my heart starts to race, my stomach starts to church, and I feel a little shaky. It’s a full-body experience.

Jesus knew the power of surprises in storytelling. That gotcha moment when things don’t go the way you thought they were going?  That’s compelling. That’s what you talk about after the show, right?

We have been working our way through a series of parables in Matthew’s gospels for the past few weeks and they all have something in common. Two things, in fact. First, they are all interpreted as being about the End Times. Second, they all contain surprises. The guy who wasn’t dressed correctly for the wedding feast is bound and punished – that wasn’t what we were expecting from a merciful God, right? The poor bridesmaids who didn’t bring enough oil are kicked out of the wedding party – it seems unfair. It’s not the way we thought the story would go. The servants who are entrusted with their master’s wealth and the one who protects the single talent by burying it is cursed while the ones who took a risk and invested the money are glorified? Not what I was expecting. I didn’t see it coming.[1]

I’ve heard many-a moralizing sermon about today’s passage from Matthew. We social justice, do-gooder types seem to love to alternately toot our own horns or beat ourselves up because we’re not doing enough good. We love to preach works righteousness and aren’t usually too heavy on the grace. We’re always working harder (or at least talking about working harder) to fix the problems around us. And I’m not saying that’s a bad thing. I do think we need to work hard.

So for many Christians focused on social justice, this passage has become a favorite. After all, it’s not too heavy on grace, amiright? This illustrates why it’s so important to resist the temptation to be a needlepoint Christian. It’s not helpful to pick one verse or one passage and embroider it all over our lives as if no other passage matters. Doesn’t matter if it’s John 3:16 or Micah 6:8 or Jeremiah 29:11….no one story is enough to encompass the entire story of who God is or what God is doing in the world.

If I were going to pick a theme passage for my life and hold it up at a football game or bumper sticker it on the back of my car, I don’t think it would be this one: “’Truly I tell you, just as you did not do it to the least of these, you did not do it to me.’ And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.” Just doesn’t quite have the spirit I’d like for a needlepoint pillow on my sofa, you know?

These passages in Matthew wear me down. They make me feel a little like I can’t get anything right. A little, “What’s the use in trying if I’m just going to miss the point and get stuck in the outer darkness weeping and gnashing my teeth?” You know?

But then I remember…..these stories all have something in common: a surprise twist. Everyone in this parable is surprised. The goats have no idea they are goats. They didn’t know they were neglecting Christ when they failed to go down to the local jail, or didn’t call their senator about the Farm Bill, or forgot to drop off the clothes at Goodwill, or ignored the issues surrounding water safety and access all over the glove. They had no idea they were messing up. This is perhaps not too surprising.

But you know what is surprising to me? The sheep also had no idea. They didn’t know they were sheep at all. They didn’t know they were seeing Christ face-to-face at the Breadbasket, or in the hospital bed, or in the long committee meetings for community organizing. They had no idea they were getting it right.

Now that is surprising to me. And the part that really gets me? It’s this: I think perhaps one of the points of this story is that none of us really know whether we’re sheep or goats. We mess it up? We don’t notice. We get it right? We don’t notice. We probably think we’re getting it right when we’re really messing it up and vice versa. We don’t know. But you know who does know? Christ. Christ knows.

I don’t know if that makes you feel good or bad. It makes me feel a little of both at the same time. It makes me feel, in my body, the same way I feel when I am surprised: my breath gets a little short, my palms get a little sweaty, my heart thumps around in my chest a bit.

This particular Sunday is Reign of Christ Sunday. You may also know it as Christ the King Sunday. As such, it seems like a pretty good time to ponder what it might mean to claim Christ as our Ruler.

A few weeks ago, I found myself in the middle of an intense debate among some colleagues about whether the language of Christ as “Ruler” matters to us and to the people in UCC churches. I don’t know how often you think about Jesus Christ as your Ruler, if you do at all. For me, the language is still relevant. I think a few years ago I would have told you it didn’t ring true for me at all, but these days I find myself trying to live more fully into that claim about Christ.

I typically use the language of Ruler instead of Lord because I don’t think of Christ as a male and a Lord is a male ruler. Now, Jesus? Yes, it seems to me that Jesus was a male. But Christ is not the same as Jesus. Christ is the eternal force who existed before Jesus of Nazareth was born and continued on after Jesus’s body was crucified. Christ is the force that cannot be extinguished and that force does not have a body or gender for me. James Cone speaks of Christ as a “liberating event” and I love this image of Christ as an event.

So what does it mean to claim Christ as Ruler? Well, for me it means that my ultimate allegiance rests with God and my ultimate work in this world is to do all within my power to bring about God’s Reign on Earth. It means something decidedly counter-cultural.

There are so many entities in this world that compete to become our Ruler. To Christ is our Ruler is to say that the Black Friday sales at Walmart and the Thanksgiving sales at Target are not our Ruler. If Christ is our Ruler then our President is not our Ruler. If Christ is our Ruler then the stock market is not our Ruler. If Christ is my Ruler then my grades, my weight, my promotion at work, my publications, my bank account balance…none of these things are my Ruler.

What about you? If Christ is your Ruler, who or what else is not your Ruler?  (time for responses)

We are already moving a bit into a space for reflection and you may have noticed you have two post it notes stuck to your bulletin. Which brings me to the title of the sermon: New Year’s in November.

Did you know it’s actually New Year’s Eve right now? The church year ends today. Next week it will be Advent, which is the beginning of the church year. So I thought that today we might make time for some New Year’s Resolutions. Not the ones about the number on the scale, or the cleanliness of your house, or spending less time on Facebook.[2]

Those two post it notes are for you during this time of reflection. One is meant to be about your own life: In the coming year, how can you live your life in such a way that the Reign of Christ is ever more present in the world around you? What concrete change can you make? No one will see what you write on that piece of paper unless you want them to see it.

The second note is about our life together: In the coming year, how can we as a community of faith live in such a way that the Reign of Christ becomes more of a reality? What can we do together?

During the reflection time and the offertory, I hope you’ll take a moment to write on each note. The individual one is yours to take home and stick somewhere where you’ll see it each day. The second one, the one about our life together, I hope you’ll be willing to share it with the rest of us. As you leave the Sanctuary today, I invite you to stick your post it to one of the doors as you exit the Sanctuary. You can put your name on them if you want people to know it’s from you. That might be a great idea because then you could connect with others who share your interests and passions.

Let us listen for the voice of our Still-Surprising God during this time of reflection.




[1] Thank you to Greg Carey for enumerating theses surprises in Matthew’s gospel
[2] I am indebted to Karoline Lewis of workingpreacher.org for this idea about making Reign of Christ-centered New Year’s Resolutions.

No comments: