Pages

Sunday, October 11, 2015

“Brooding Before Jesus”

Sunday, October 11, 2015
Mark 10: 17-31
First Congregational United Church of Christ – Sermon by Rev. Caela Simmons Wood

Earlier this week, I was in my kitchen at home, standing near the window, and saw something out of the corner of my eye in our yard below. A flutter of orange. “David!” I called out, “One of the chickens is loose in the yard!”

We have a small flock of backyard chickens – Sprinkles, Cupcake, Blondie, Oreo, and Peaches. They have sturdy coop and a large run that they can access whenever they want. We used to let them free-range in the yard…but then we got a dog. More precisely, a bird dog. So, yeah. They don’t free-range any more, which is why I was so surprised to see one of them on the loose.

Turns out, it was Oreo who had escaped. Oreo is….an odd bird. She’s been broody for almost a year now. When a hen becomes broody, she obsessively sits on top of a clutch of eggs. Now, we don’t have any roosters. So Oreo can sit on those eggs from now until kingdom come and nothing is going to hatch. Ever. But she doesn’t realize that. And so she sits.

And because she rarely gets off that clutch, she rarely eats. And because she rarely eats, she is a scrawny little bird. Small enough, in fact, that she was able to slip out of the chicken run through a small hole in the chicken wire. In the yard, she was free as a bird (see what I did there?) but she was also in grave danger. If we had put out dog out into the yard, it wouldn’t have been a pretty sight. Living beyond boundaries has risks, you know. When David went out to put her back into the run she tried to squeeze back through the hole and got stuck. He had to help her back into safety.

And so when I hear today’s passage from Mark, and think about a camel trying to somehow get through the eye of a needle, I see Oreo in my mind’s eye….squeezing  through that bit of fencing on her way to freedom and danger.

We don’t know much of anything about the man who comes to Jesus and asks, “What must I do to inherit boundless life?” He kneels and calls him “Good Teacher.” He comes in respect and questions earnestly. He’s not trying to trick Jesus or make a fool of him. He truly wants to know the answer to this question.

It seems to me that the man is a bit like my Oreo. Kind of an odd one. A little broody. While his peers are caught in an endless cycle of wake-up-go-to-work-make-money-spend-money-pay-bills-check-facebook-fold-laundry-make-the-kids-lunches-watch-the-news-fall-asleep-wake-up-do-it-all-again this man is a little different. A little odd. A little broody.
Can you see him now, hovering over his clutch of eggs? He’s worried about things. And not just small things. Big things. He’s up at night pondering the big questions. And the biggest question of all he brings to this odd teacher from Galilee. He bows down before him, calls him Good Teacher, and says, “What must I do to inherit eternal life?”

Now, when I hear this question my mind immediately goes to the afterlife….what happens to us after we die? But eternal simply means without beginning and without end. Boundless. Limitless. So take of his question what you will. I’m not 100% convinced he’s asking about what happens after death. He might just be a little like my Oreo. Peeking through the chicken wire and wondering, “What happens if I break out of these confines? What would it be like to be out there in the Big Beyond?” We don’t know what’s constraining this man, but we can imagine all kinds of things. Most of us know what it’s like to feel trapped, don’t we?

Jesus, being the Good Teacher that he is, is happy to enter into dialogue with the man. He says, “You know the rules…” and he lists them. The man says, “But I’m already doing all of that. I’ve done all of those things since I was a boy!” And Jesus looks at him and loves him.

And then he says, “You lack one thing. Go, sell what you own and give the money to the poor. Then come and follow me.” And this man – this broody, worried man – hangs his head low. He went away grieving. He is unable to do the thing Jesus asked him to do because – and here we find out one more thing about this nameless man – he had many possessions.

Too many to sell, I suppose. Too overwhelming. Too odd, even for this odd man who was already out of step with his peers. Too demanding. Too scary. Too much. The security and dependability of the always-available chicken feed and water is too appealing. The protection of the chicken wire begins to look more like a comfort than a constraint. Jesus the Good Teacher has taken it too far. The price is too great.

As we move through our stewardship campaign this month, we are asking ourselves to dream with God. What might the future of this congregation look like? What things can we accomplish together with God’s help? How can we let our light shine more brightly in our community and in the world? Those are the big questions. And underneath all of those questions about our capacity for ministry together are the dollars and cents facts and figures that our very capable leaders brood over – financial reports and pledge cards and endowment policies and bills from the plumber, the electrician, the gas company.

It makes me a little glad Jesus isn’t the one doing a Moment for Mission today. Because I fear that if I asked him how much money I should be giving to our church and to the Crisis Center and the Breadbasket and Shepherd’s Crossing and Emergency Shelter the answer would be overwhelming. Too demanding. Too scary. Too much.

A funny thing about this story, though: while the subject at hand is money, there are several other things happening in this story.

For starters, and I’m indebted to David Lose who called my attention to this one, the format of the story suggests that it is primarily about healing.[1] All of the healing stories in the Gospels follow a formula. Someone comes, they kneel before Jesus, they call him by an honorific name, and ask for help. In today’s story, Jesus interacts with the man and offers an answer to his question. But instead of going away healed, as so many others do, he goes away shocked and grieving. It’s like a healing story gone awry. And if it’s a healing story, then there has to be something that ails the man.

His question is about breaking out beyond the boundaries – “How do I find life that has no beginning and no end?” And Jesus’s answer is that he needs to sell everything he owns. It makes me think a bit about our possessions and the way they possess us. We covet and buy all these things because they think they will make us happy. And maybe they do, for a time. But they are also a lot of work.

Maybe you’ve heard of Marie Kondo, who wrote The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, which became a New York Times bestseller this past year. Her methods for figuring out how to get rid of things we own have become so popular that her name is now a verb. The other day, I heard someone say, “Yeah, I really need to go through and Kondo my closet.” Apparently, it’s so difficult to get rid of things that we have to buy another thing (a book) to teach us how to get rid of our stuff. The things we possess often possess us.

And so Jesus’s prescription for this man who possessed many things was fairly simple: get rid of it all. But he couldn’t take the pill and so he went away still sick.

The other thing that’s happening in this story is that they’re on The Way. In verse 17, “As Jesus was going on the way, a man ran up to him…” Biblical Scholar Mark Vitalis Hoffman notes that “The Way” is code-language in the Gospels.[2] Jesus’s earliest followers said they were followers of The Way. Jesus said, “I am The Way.” Whenever we see stories about Jesus or his followers on The Way, we know it’s a story about discipleship. What does it mean to be a follower of Jesus?

After all, the cure for whatever ails the man actually had three parts: 1) sell what you own, 2) give the money to the poor, 3) follow Jesus. The path to limitless life is found by following Jesus.

Those of us who live in the 21st century don’t have it as easy as the people in Mark’s Gospel. They could just follow Jesus in the flesh and blood. We don’t have that option. And so, those of us who find this Jesus character compelling have to find other ways to follow.

We all have spiritual practices that breathe new life into us and enable us to experience the Holy more fully. A few weeks ago, I preached about prayer. Last week, several of us walked in the CROP Walk. Some of us are music-makers, casserole-bakers, Sabbath-keepers, labyrinth-walkers, hospital-sitters, kindness-givers. A rich Christian life draws upon many spiritual practices as we work to follow The Way.

As we consider our financial gifts to this church during stewardship season, I invite us all to consider more fully the deepening of relationship that comes with generous and sacrificial giving. In my own life, the practice of regularly, intentionally giving away a significant portion of my income – both to the church and other worthy non-profits – has been utterly transformational. It has reduced my anxiety, rearranged my priorities, and given me a true feeling of freedom. For some strange reason, the more I’ve given away, the less worried I am about what I have. The more focused I am on the needs of others, the less I feel trapped by the what-ifs of my own financial situation.

I fear, my friends, that Jesus may have been on to something when he told the man to give away his possessions.

I, for one, am awfully glad he’s not here today because I know I can’t bear to give them all away. But I also know that I can continue to push myself to do more. And I can prayerfully consider how to continue the work of allowing God to radically reorient my own values and fears and desires.

After all, I can see Jesus standing there. We come to him asking how to be free. And he looks at us and loves us. He loves us before we can even respond to the prescription he’s about to give. And whether we can swallow the bitter pill of giving it all away, or go away grieving, or land somewhere in between, I believe he is still standing there. Looking at us. And loving us. And continuing to invite us to follow him. Even when it’s hard. Amen.



[1] http://www.davidlose.net/2015/10/pentecost-20-b-curing-our-heartsickness/
[2] http://www.workingpreacher.org/preaching.aspx?commentary_id=2640

No comments: