Pages

Sunday, October 20, 2013

"Listening Matters"


Sermon Text – Luke 18:1-8

It doesn’t take much imagination to find contemporary parallels to the parable from Luke that we just heard. In fact, I kind of laughed out loud a bit when I opened up my Bible on Monday to look at the texts for the week and saw this story. Before I could stop myself, I found my brain updating the parable, “In a certain nation, there were lawmakers who neither feared God nor had respect for people. In that nation there were many widows and orphans and convicted criminals and people dying of curable diseases who came to the lawmakers saying, ‘Grant us justice.’ For a while, they refused, but later they said to themselves, ‘Though I have no fear of God and no respect for anyone, yet because I fear the loss of campaign funding and what will happen to the stock market, I will grant them some measure of justice, so I can be reelected.”

Oversimplified? Yes, of course. But the parallels between Luke’s setting and ours can’t be ignored. The people in power then and now often care about the wrong things. And the people who are disempowered – like the widow – care so very much, but have an incredibly difficult, uphill battle to get anyone at all to listen to them. So they do what they can to make their voices heard. And, every once in a while, someone seems to actually listen. For whatever reason, there is a brief reprieve and they can breathe a bit, knowing that their immediate needs have been taken care of for a few days, weeks, or months.

I can imagine that’s what it must feel like for some in our country right now - those government workers who live paycheck to paycheck and are still scrambling to recover from the disruption in their lives these past few weeks. They are working to regain their footing, but they won’t soon forget the nagging feeling that many in Congress cannot be trusted, don’t seem to care, and don’t seem to have much of a clue about how most of their constituents live. We have stumbled back to some sense of normalcy, but I hope we won’t soon forget the weeks of uncertainty we just lived through.

I take comfort knowing that the Rear Admiral Barry C. Black is still praying with the Senate each day. As the Senate’s Chaplain, Rev. Dr. Black took seriously his responsibility to “comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable” during the government shutdown. He prayed daily that the lawmakers could be saved from “the madness,” and begging God to deliver them from the “hypocrisy of attempting to sound reasonable while being unreasonable.”

Rev. Black, unlike most of his colleagues in the Senate, knows what it is like to live in poverty. His mother was a domestic worker, his father a truck driver, and they made sacrifices to send their eight children to private Christian schools. One of those sacrifices was the ability to pay the rent. Black recalls coming home from school three times as a child to find they had been evicted from their apartment – their belongings on the street.[1]

So Black understands all too well the true cost for everyday people of the government shutdown. I feel confident he will not soon forget what has transpired these past few weeks. And I know he will not be silent.

The widow in Luke’s parable had that going for her, too. She refused to be silent. The Hebrew word for widow carries with it the connotation of someone who is silent – who has no voice. Legally, women in their culture had no voice. They were fully dependant on their male relatives to speak on their behalf. So a widow, who had lost her closest male relative, was silenced completely unless another male relative was willing to take her in and become her mouthpiece.

This widow clearly has not been this lucky. She is without voice – none of her male relatives are willing to care for her. If they had been, she certainly wouldn’t have been out in the streets yelling at the local judge. That type of behavior was a serious embarrassment for her entire family, if she had any left to care. But she is desperate – she has no where else to go, no other tricks up her sleeve, so she does the only thing she can think of – raises her voice and keeps on raising it until this unjust judge becomes so annoyed that he gives in and helps her out.

Is this a story about how to get what you want even when the deck is stacked against you and you are totally desperate? I guess you could say it is.

But I always tend to ask myself, “What is this story trying to tell us about God?” when I am looking at Biblical texts. And, in this case, the story is pretty clear in what it’s trying to communicate about God. God is not like the unjust judge. God does not have to be pestered and prodded and embarrassed into helping us in our hour of need.

So we don’t have to beg and holler and scream to get God’s attention. God pays attention to us even when we speak with a whisper. In fact, I tend to think that God is paying attention to us even when we don’t say anything at all. In God’s language, there is no such thing as a person without a voice because all are valued, all are heard, all are held closely and cherished.

Now I don’t think this means we worship what I like to call “the Gumball Machine God.” We don’t pop a quarter into the prayer machine and – pop! – out comes a gumball. I don’t think God works in that way. I don’t even thing God has the ability to grant us our deepest wishes and desires. God is neither a Gumball Machine nor a Genie in a Bottle.

What God can do, I believe, is accompany us. And what we can do is allow ourselves to be accompanied.

We can allow ourselves to be open to God’s presence – both in those mystical, mysterious otherworldly moments and in those mundane, everyday situations. We can allow ourselves to be fully aware of God’s accompaniment and we can take strength and solace in knowing that the One who is called Love never leaves us alone, never allows us to be silenced, never forgets our plight.

I think that – more than anything – this is a story about the power of listening and the miracle of being heard.

The widow lived in a society that told her time and time again, “You have no worth,” but she refused to believe the lie they were selling her. She knew she had worth and she insisted on being in relationship. She insisted on being heard. And the unjust judge – as shameless and he may have been – did eventually do the thing she needed him to do. He listened. Her case was heard.

I read a news story this week about a 15 year old named Davion Only who is insisting on being heard.[2]

Davion has been in the foster care system in Florida his entire life. He was born while his mom was incarcerated. He has never known his parents. He cannot count all the places he has lived. This past June, Davion sat down at a library computer and Googled his mom. He found her mug shot. And he found her obituary. That’s when he knew he had to give up on the idea that she was ever coming to save him.

And so he decided he would have to save himself. He began working harder in school, bringing his grades up. He began taking better care of himself physically and lost 40 pounds. He learned to control his rage and stopped lashing out at everyone around him who was trying to help.

When he was ready, he decided it was time to ask. It was time to take himself out into the world and raise his voice until someone heard him and answered his cries.

Last month, he walked into St. Mark Missionary Baptist Church in St. Petersburg. He had cold feet at the last minute, and told his case worker he was having second thoughts. But he sat through the service. As he listened to the preacher, he wondered what he could possibly say so that people would finally listen to his story. A lifetime of being unheard. A lifetime of feeling abandoned. And here he was taking a chance in a room of 300 strangers – just hoping someone would hear him out.

So after the sermon was over, the pastor invited him to the front and Davion did what he had come to do. He used his own voice to tell his story. He asked boldly that someone present might adopt him. His story has since been published numerous times online and in print media and the center where Davion lives has received hundreds of inquiries about Davion. I can only hope and pray that Davion, like the widow in Luke’s story, will get what he asked for – a second chance, a family, a hope for a secure future.

And Davion has that chance because a group of people listened.

The website for St. Mark Missionary Baptist Church says their mission is “creating a haven of hope, help and healing for Christ.” Sounds to me like they’re doing it.

They took time to listen to Davion. I don’t know if it will lead to justice for him, but I do know that there is power in listening. That 300 people would take time to hear his story? That has to mean the world to a kid who has rarely been given a chance to use his voice. In taking the time to listen, they were telling Davion, “We want to hear you. We believe you are important. We are taking seriously our call to listen as Christ would listen.”

Listening is where it all begins. I think that’s why Luke tells us that this is a parable about “their need to pray always and never lose heart.”

That’s an unusual thing for a parable to be about. There are 24 parables in Luke and only 3 have anything to do with prayer. But that’s what Luke tells us this parable is about. It is a parable about being in relationship. About taking the risk of raising our voices – to God, to one another – a parable about hoping to be heard. And it is a parable about the gift of listening – a story about the power we wield when we simply take the time to focus our attention on an individual who longs to be heard; the beauty of what can happen when we open ourselves to another person’s story and take it fully into ourselves.

I have found that, in my own life, I am best able to put on my listening ears and truly hear those around me when I am in a good place myself. When I am struggling; when I feel worthless; when I feel fearful or despairing? Those are the times I find it to be very difficult to hear people around me. But when I feel like I am worthy, like I am loved, like I am heard? Well, those are the times when I feel like I can listen and listen well.

I have to put the oxygen mask on myself before I can put it on others. And, for me, one of the ways I put that oxygen mask on is through prayer. For me, it’s not necessarily about sitting down and folding my hands to say an official prayer. Instead, it’s about trying to live my life in a way where I am fully aware of God’s presence in each and every moment. It’s about remembering I am accompanied by the One whose name is Love, no matter where I go.
Oh, there are so many days that I fail at this. But when I am able to get it right – when I am able to remember how important it is to “pray always and never lose heart” I am so thankful.
Because when I can remember these things, I begin to feel like I have been heard; like I have been found worthy; like I am loved. And then from that place of strength, I am able to open myself and listen to those around me.

Listening is where it all begins.

When we can rest assured that God hears us, we are better able to listen to each other. And when we listen to each other, we discover that we are in relationship – for better or for worse.

And if we can all just stay in relationship with each other – holding each other’s stories, seeing one another as God sees us – well, that’s not everything, but it certainly is a good place to start.

No comments: