Pages

Sunday, September 15, 2013

“Seeking, Shining, Shifting”


Sermon Text – Luke 15: 1-10

A few weeks ago, our three-year-old son had one of his first really vivid nightmares. He was walking from his room to ours in the middle of the night and took a wrong turn, getting lost in our hallway. He called out “Daddy! Daddy!” and when David found him, he was hysterical. He explained to us the next morning that he had been all alone, lost, and was looking for us everywhere but couldn’t find us.

I told him that the dream sounded really scary. And I reassured him that, in real life, I would never let him get lost. That I would always know just where to find him and that we would always be together. Of course, as I heard the words coming out of my mouth I suddenly realized that these promises are not within my power to make.

People do lose each other. Parents lose their children – just like those parents who lost their beloved children fifty years ago today in Birmingham. So as I started to tear up at the thought of anything ever separating me from my beloved children, I caught myself and tried to suck my waterworks back inside. The poor kid was already scared from his dream. The last thing he needed was me telling him that he actually COULD get lost, right?

I found myself relying on my Christian faith to bring me back from a full-scale panic attack. All these years of going to church and studying the Bible came to my rescue. And I was able to tell him something really true. I was able to make a promise that is not mine to keep, but that I know will absolutely be kept.

I told him that one of the truest things I know about God is that God is the Greek Seeker. God will never allow us to be lost. We are always found with God. We are never alone, even though we might feel like it sometimes.

And I told him this passage from Luke. I told him that one of the reasons I know God never loses a game of hide and seek is because Jesus teaches about the persistence of God with these two parables. The shepherd loses one sheep, but goes out to find that sheep and return her to the fold. The woman loses one of her coins, but spends all night sweeping and shining a light until she finds it. And that’s what God is like. Always seeking. Always shining. Never allowing us to be lost.

This is why I keep coming to church, folks. This is why I’m a Christian. Because when life gets big and scary and I realize just how little control I have over everything around me, I need stories like the ones Jesus tells today. They are what keep me glued together. They are the stories I tell myself so I can get out of bed in the morning and keep putting one foot in front of the other. And I am hoping that these stories will one day become my children’s stories, too. Because if my child – God forbid – was ever lost, I would want him to know – deep in his bones – that he can never be lost from God. That he is never alone. These are truths I want him to carry within his heart all the days of his life.

A God that seeks the lost. A God that shines a light in the darkness to find one who has gone missing.

This is the God we, the Church, are called to proclaim. It is the God that Jesus worshiped. It is our story to believe and to tell. More importantly, perhaps, it is our story to live.

We are called to be a church that proclaims the One who seeks and shines. But we are also called to be a church that actively seeks and shines ourselves.

On the Sunday when we celebrate the five-year anniversary of our communal commitment to being fully open, welcoming, and affirming these parables seem especially relevant to our shared work.

Being open, welcoming, affirming is about even more than welcoming gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender people into our fold. For starters, it is about a much bigger group of people than those who identify as LGBT. Our covenant says, “we believe that God’s spirit calls us to embrace diversity fully in our congregation and community and to affirm the dignity and worth of every person without regard to race, sex, gender, age, sexual orientation, faith, nationality, ethnicity, economic or marital status, or physical, mental, or emotional disability.”

That’s a whole lotta folks, folks. It’s a covenant that commits us to living out a gospel of radical hospitality and extravagant welcome. I kind of wish our statement had an actual dot-dot-dot ellipsis in it, too, because I just know that the statement will have to expand someday.

Because when we are saying we are called to affirm the dignity and worth of every person – EVERY PERSON – that is a bigger group than even our well-thought-out laundry list of “without regard tos” can cover. We do not yet know who may become the “outsiders” of the future. We do not yet know who we may need to faithfully name and claim ten or twenty years from now. But we know that it will happen.

Being open, welcoming, and affirming is not a thing that happened back on September 14, 2008. It is something we continue to live into together every day of our shared lives. And it is a covenant that will continue to expand as long as we are intentionally seeking to understand which people society and the big-C Church have dismissed. And Jesus tells us this is where our energy should be: seeking that one sheep who was lost.

Now, I do need to say that when I first read these parables this week, my mind immediately went to what it means to be an open, welcoming, and affirming church. Because I do think that so much of what we do is invite those who are outside the fold for whatever reason to come in and join with us as Church. Of course, the actual language used in Luke’s gospel also talks about these lost folks as being sinners and I need you to hear me loud-and-clear when I say that I’m not saying LGBT folks or mentally ill folks or divorced folks or poor folks are sinners. Got it? Good.

I do think that, in Jesus’ time, labeling outsiders as sinners was a convenient way to “Other-ize” them. It was an easy way for religious leaders to wash their hands of these lost folks and put their energy elsewhere. This is, of course, what Jesus is trying to argue against in this passage. He’s trying to convince those around him to de-Other-ize those who have been kept out for so long. Now, I think we all know that the modern day Church doesn’t have this outsiders-as-sinners problem, right? Ha.

But even if we separate that loaded word of sinner out and remember that Jesus is talking about Outsiders, those “Others” in his time and place, we all still have so much to learn from these parables. Most of us are Insiders in one way or another. And even if we don’t call our society’s Others “sinners” we do have to continually work together as people of faith to de-Otherize all of God’s children.

“What on earth is the preacher getting at here? She’s lost me.”

Let me break it down for you with some real examples:

When we say we welcome GLBT people fully, that is a great start. When we shift the conversation to a broader one about human sexuality and gender identity, that’s better.

Because, of course, if “we” are welcoming LGBT people it means “they” are the Other. Of course, the reality is, all of us – gay, straight, trans, or cis – have a sexual orientation and a gender identity. By the way, I recognize not everyone here may recognize the term “cis.” Cisgender is basically when your gender identity matches up with your biological sex. So if you are biologically a man and you identify as a male then you are cis-gender because your sex and gender match up.

Vocabulary lesson over. But it’s an important vocabulary word to know. Understanding these words is just one important way we can shine a light into the corners. Make the invisible visible. We can only talk about things when we have the words to do so. And I, as a cis-person, operate from a position of great privilege. My reality is considered to be “the norm.” As a person of gender-privilege, I can do a great deal to de-Otherize those who identify as transgender, all-gender, or gender-queer by simply realizing and reflecting on the fact that I have a gender identity. Being cisgender is a thing. It’s one way of being gendered. It is not the only way. It’s not me and them. It’s all of us recognizing that we all have gender identities.

How else can we de-Otherize?

Well, let’s look at race. Mostly-white churches often find themselves stumped when they say aloud, “We wish we had more people of color here. We would welcome them with open arms!” and then no people of color show up. Or they do show up and they don’t stay.

But what many of these congregations fail to see is how they live within a culture that is still dominated by white-ness and sees white-ness as the “norm.” People of color are still Otherized. The message is often, “you are welcome here – as long as you are interested in appropriating our traditions, singing our songs, appreciating our art, doing things the way we do them.” It takes a lot of work for people of all races to work together to de-Otherize people of color in a society that still Otherizes them so very much.

But I think it’s work that is worth doing. Because I think that to step into the work of de-Otherizing is to take seriously what Jesus is telling us here. It is to take a risk of being transformed. It is to walk every more courageously towards a joy-filled life with a happy ending for those who are seeking and those who have been lost along the way.

When we take seriously Jesus’s call to seek the lost and shine a light into those dark corners, we discover that something deep within us begins to shift. Our community is changed from a place where Outsiders are welcomed in to a place where we are all Outsiders together. We all exist together outside the “norm” that others find comfortable. We become the misfits, the weird ones, the not-quite-good-enough ones.

I don’t know. Maybe this sounds scary to you. Maybe you really want to be a part of the in group. There are days when I feel like that.

But then I remember these parables that Jesus told. You know when the shepherd goes off in search of that one Other sheep – the lost one – he is putting the other 99 sheep at risk. They could have wandered off or been attacked. He risks the entire flock to go find that one sheep. It seems to me that God is wildly in love with that one sheep. God so values the Other that God is willing to risk those “normal” sheep to bring that one sheep back.

And when that one sheep gets back, I can only imagine that she has stories to tell. Wild and fantastical stories about what it was like to be lost. What is was like to be on the Outside looking in. And I can only imagine that those stories, if properly heard, would begin to change the majority. Those stories would shift the big group – ever so slightly.

In the Beloved Community – that ideal world that God continues to dream for all of us – I have to believe there are no in-groups and out-groups. No Outsiders to be de-Otherized at all. There are no found coins and lost coins. There’s just us. Together. Whole. Beloved and Loving. Sought and seeking. Seen and shining a light on others. Shifted and shifting those around us.

We’ll get there someday. God’s never yet lost a game of hide and seek. 





No comments: